Sunday, July 13, 2008

Running makes you do crazy things

As I've been gradually increasing my mileage, I've begun to notice the crazy things running has made me do. Take today, for example. The plan I'm following called for a 13 mile run this morning. Now some would say that the whole idea of getting up at 5:30 am to run 13 miles on a day when my wife and kids are out of town and I could have slept late is crazy in and of itself. And I couldn't really argue with that. But it gets worse.

I've been reading about the benefits of an ice bath after a long run to help reduce muscle soreness, so I decided to try it. So at one point this morning I found myself sitting in a bathtub full of ice drinking a big glass of my current favorite post run beverage chocolate milk. (For any of you that actually know me and know what I look like, I apologize for putting that mental image in your head.) I kept thinking if I have a heart attack, please let the ice melt before they find my body.

1 comment:

Laura Marie said...

ice baths?!?! i need those so badly but i doubt my body would actually allow me to stay in that water for more than 30 seconds. who knows...maybe after a long sweaty run it'll be the only thing i'm looking forward to. I have my first 10 miler on saturday...longest i'll ever have run by then. i'm excited yet worried for how my body will hold up. keep up the great work though on your part. 15 miles?! WOW!