Tuesday, March 25, 2008

More proof I'm old

As I may have mentioned earlier, I'm fairly new to this whole blogging thing. And there has been a learning curve for me. For example, it was only a few weeks ago that finally figured out how to post videos from YouTube on here. And as you can see, the layout is a little on the plain side.

Well, this weekend, after several weeks of begging, I agreed to let my 11 year old set up a blog. (Side note to my wife or any other panic stricken relatives of mine: She has to show me what she posts in advance and she doesn't use the computer without her mother or I present. And we check her e-mail.) Anyway, within an hour of setting it up, she had figured out how to post videos, she had a poll, and it was generally much more visually interesting than mine. Of course, her blog is mostly about pokemon and other video games, so we're not exactly appealing to the same demographic. Anyway, it made me feel old to find that she surpassed me in techno savvy in just a couple of hours. This must be what my parents felt like when they discovered my brother and I could program the VCR and they couldn't.

1 comment:

eulogos said...

Well I am from the 'can't program the VCR' generation, so you can imagine how I feel about trying to keep up with computer/internet
technology.

Three of my sons can build computers from parts, set up wired and wireless networks, program in several languages, talk to computers in either the DOS shell of a Windows computer or in Linux commands. (When they get on the computer they get rid of the GUI screen, you know, with the icons, and get a black screen onto which they type commands.) Asking them questions is so humiliating. One son, when he was in high school and teaching me DOS on even then antiquated computers which was all we could afford then, used to say, "Mother, a retarded lab rat could do it!" I always laugh when I hear about "parental controls" on computers, when they mean not what you are doing but some program one can use to limit what children can do with the computer. I think most of today's kids by their early teens can hack around these programs the same day you bring home the computer.

It is enough to make you wonder if there isn't something to that inheritance of acquired characteristics thing. Otherwise, how can they get so far ahead of us so fast?